Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 1999 02:06:28 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, dillon@backplane.com
Subject:   Re: Fix/tuning to improve slow NFS writes?

On Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 04:50:51AM -0400, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Doug wrote:
>
> > Matthew Dillon wrote:
> > >
> > > :       So, the big question is whether there is anything we can tune to speed up
> > > :the writes. The freebsd machines are NFS clients to the sun servers doing
> > > :most of the web processing. Overall performance on the reads seems to be
> > > :best with nfs v3 over udp, which is what I'm using now. All of the web
> > > :server directories are soft mounted directly, with no amd currently in use.

Could tuning any of the NFS options in the kernel help?  Matt, could
you give any tips?

> > 	I should have mentioned, I have 20 nfsiod's running. I started so many
> > initially to help in the stress testing I was doing, but I left them
> > running because the servers are handling from 2-4 requests per second and
> > we have lots of ram in the boxes. Is there a way to figure out how many are
> > getting used concurrently, or is too many not a problem?
>
> You need to run 'nfsd' on the servers, not nfsiod.
>
> nfsd - run on server
> nfsiod - run on client

He's talking about the client boxes, just measuring from the server
side.  Reference the second sentence at top.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                  Failing sardine factory cans employees!
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com