Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 1995 17:16:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        paul@isl.cf.ac.uk (Paul Richards)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.org, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposed gateways.

> This is the current state of the gateway plans.
>
> We have a full two way gateway between questions and usenet.
>
> We have a *ONE-WAY* gateway from hackers into usenet with a note
> stating that the FreeBSD developers are doing this as a service to
> the usenet community so that people can see what we're up to but that
> to actually participate in those discussions they should subscscribe
> to the mailing lists, the pointer would be to majordomo@freebsd.org rather
> than to hackers itself.
I would rather see  a one way gate of questions..
two way will send followups to questions as well.
I don't think we need this..
what we DO want is the ANSWERS to go to the usenet group as well however,

'question by mail' ---------->mojordomo------------>list with reply to:
                                |                 set to user and 'answers'

                                |----------------> Usenet
                                                   "REPLY BE EMAIL" added.

'answer by mail' ---------->mojordomo------------>list

                                |----------------> Usenet

> The new mentor/newbie scheme would use help@freebsd.org for newbies to
> ask questions to and a mentors@freebsd.org for the mentors to sign up to.
yes

> Ok, the reasons:
>
> We need a higher profile on usenet, questions will basically be sacrificed
> for this purpose, If people feel that questions becomes too much for them
> then it's up to them whether they stick with it. In fact, discussion has
> suggested that many people have already made this decision and unsubscribed
> so those of us left probably don't mind the load :-)
questions will become the same as usenet.. this is not good
questions should have questions...
answers on 'answers'

> Hackers will be our main, general discussion list. We want usenet
> to see these discussions, so we gateway to usenet, but we don't
> want that list to get spammed and we don't want all the religious
> wars and general crap you get on usenet finding it's way back onto
> it. We provide a hint of how to actually join the list by referring
> to our majordomo address.
We allow people to juoin, but don't say so...
> We do this much anyway. If we get some
> problem subscribers joining because they've seen the usenet discussion
> then we have control over their subscription and we can toss them
> out very easily if they're any trouble.
wellllllllllll, ok

> Ok, that sort of sums up what's been discussed over the last few days with
> the current proposals as discussed on -core.

> Now to the rub, we have to take a vote on questions and hackers to accept
> the usenet gateway proposals before we implement it. I'll handle this.
how about a vote category for
"Want Gating 1 way or similar"

julian