Date:      Tue, 11 Sep 2007 13:30:55 -0400
From:      "Bob Johnson" <fbsdlists@gmail.com>
To:        Pollywog <lists-fbsd@shadypond.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh forwarding question

On 9/3/07, Pollywog <lists-fbsd@shadypond.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 September 2007 00:13:13 Pollywog wrote:
> > >
> > > It seems to me that you have a problem with a firewall. Look at your own
> > > message. It looks like port 15901 is closed for listening.
> >
> > Here is another clue.  Something seems to be wrong with the loopback:
> >
> > lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
> >         inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
> >         inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
> > ripple# ping localhost
> > PING localhost (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
> > ping: sendto: Can't assign requested address
> > ping: sendto: Can't assign requested address
> > ping: sendto: Can't assign requested address
> > ping: sendto: Can't assign requested address
> > ping: sendto: Can't assign requested address
> > ping: sendto: Can't assign requested address
> >
> > I have not set up a firewall on this host, so the problem is something
> > else, perhaps the output above from ifconfig helps.
>
> Yes that was the problem.  I did this:
>
> ifconfig lo0 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0
>
> After that I could ping localhost and my VNC connection via SSH succeeded.
> Now how do I fix this problem permanently in FreeBSD, by running sysinstall
> again and setting the loopback address from there?

It should have already been in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.  So the mystery
to be solved is why it was not there (or what you had in /etc/rc.conf
that overrode it, maybe). When you installed FBSD, did you do a
"standard" install or one of the "expert" installs?

And of course, since it was 7.0, you can expect things to be broken
once in a while. It is what most of the world would call "beta" code.
The quick fix is to put the required line in either
/etc/defaults/rc.conf or /etc/rc.conf. Normally you would never edit
/etc/defaults/rc.conf, but that line should have been in it.

- Bob