Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 18:11:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
Cc:        kris@FreeBSD.ORG, alexander@frolkin.demon.co.uk, brennan@offwhite.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: journaling fs

As I recall, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> To change the topic slightly, are there any plans to resurrect LFS?
> Would there be any point to putting in the time and effort to removing
> the bitrot or should we leave it where it is?

Understand that the LFS was something completely different than the
filesystems we've just been discussing (journaled filesystems, or
filesystems with intent logs).  The rotting LFS was a log filesystem
wherein a linear log of changes made were kept.  This gave a
performance boost to operations that were large and sequential, as
it avoided the work UFS goes through on a write to extend a file
(all the stuff about dealing with fragments and trying to keep all
the extents of a file in the same cylinder group).  Handy, I
suppose, to record streaming video.

You probably knew that, didn't you.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net