Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 12:51:47 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Dmitry Khrustalev <dima@bog.msu.su>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>, patl@phoenix.volant.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is xtend in the base system?

> On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > Mike Smith, the executioner of the old driver, was supposed to come up
> > with something new which supported both mono and color QCs as a
> > pre-condition for being allowed to kill the old driver, but 2.2.6 sort
> > of happened in the middle of that and he got yanked into other
> > pursuits which delayed the fulfillment of those terms.  We have gone
>
>     This is exatly my point. I guess i somehow missed xtend port
> announcement. Surely person arguing for unbundling it had done a port.

Actually, the ports have been present for years.  The justification for
the Qcam code removal was stated in the commit messages, as well as
being painfully reiterated many times in the following discussions.

What remains outstanding is support for the VC Quickcams, which were
never supported by the kernel code.  This was being undertaken by a
volunteer who seems to have been slain by whatever predator it is that
consumes new volunteers.