Date:      Mon, 03 Jan 2000 22:29:50 -0500
From:      Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netscape4.61 install problem under 3-stable

Yes, I installed the linux_base port to see if StarOffice would be useful to
me.

I did an "unsetenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH" and was able to run the linux netscape
successfully.

If I do the same for the FreeBSD netsacpe, it runs OK, too.

To directly answer your question, my generic .cshrc will set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Its current value is: /usr/local/lib:/usr/lib/compat:/usr/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib

> As to why the FreeBSD native netscape doesn't work, I don't know,
> except that it's trying to use ELF libs. What are the
> ``ldconfig_paths='' and ``ldconfig_paths_aout'' in
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf and /etc/rc*?

The only place these variables are set is in /etc/defaults/rc.conf:

ldconfig_paths="/usr/lib/compat /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/local/lib"
ldconfig_paths_aout="/usr/lib/compat/aout /usr/X11R6/lib/aout /usr/local/lib/aout"

I'm inclined to fix the problem by explicitly removing LD_LIBRARY_PATH from
the netscape startup script.

The other solution would be to learn what is wrong with my LD_LIBRARY_PATH
value, and I'll simply make that "right".

Thanks very much for your help!