Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 12:44:51 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
Cc:        Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>, Greg Lehey <grog@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, tmm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: double fault with vinum and 4.5 RC3

On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 02:20:16PM +0100, Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de> wrote:

[snip]
> Don't see vinum as a raid tool - see it as a volume manager.
> I use vinum to create partitions for jails on fly, just because
> I can do easily from perl without having to deal with offsets and
> hohles in the drive layout.
> I also use vinum just because I don't have to deal with drives changing
> their identification.
> And finaly I use vinum for raid.

Nice to hear you use it for raid. For what raid level I have to ask?
Can you rebuild raid-5 volume online without destroying filesystem?
I didn't 1,5 month ago, the trick was to umount filesystem first to
leave volume in quiescent state while rebuilding, otherwise
filesystem got corrupted.
I'm going to seek for spare SCSI disks now, to prove it again. I'll
be glad if this is fixed.
--

Vallo Kallaste
kalts@estpak.ee