Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 15:31:46 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: 2.2.1 Serious boot problem related to i586_copy*

>I found the reason of a serious boot problem I reported yesterday.  On
>some Pentium machines (as far as I know Panasonic AL-N1, and Rios
>Chandler), i586_copyout and i586_copyin does not work and they causes
>system hangup before starting sysinstall.
>
>This problem can be avoided by specifying "flags npx0 0x07" from
>UserConfig CLI mode.

"flags npx0 0x07" also disables i586_bcopy and i586_bzero.  Are those
broken too?

I don't see how i586_copyout or i586_copyin could be broken on any
real Pentium machine.  i586_bcopy and i586_bzero might not work for
device memory, but extensive (:-) testing in 2.2ALPHA/BETA/GAMMA
didn't show any problems.

Bruce