Date:      Sat, 26 May 2018 08:55:10 +0100
From:      Johannes Lundberg <johalun0@gmail.com>
To:        dpolyg <dpolyg@gmail.com>
Cc:        x11-list freebsd <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: desirable graphics card for testing drm-next-kmod wayland/weston

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 5:41 AM Denis Polygalov <dpolyg@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to play with drm-stable-kmod/drm-next-kmod wayland/weston and
> report results to community and maybe dig into the code.
> Which *AMD Radeon* *PCIe* graphics card would you recommend to buy?
> The reason I'm asking here is because information regarding support of
> AMD Radeon cards here:
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics
> is seems to be related to only "old" drm2 drivers. Or I just don't
> understand all this mess with multiple "drm"s ...
> Where can I find information about which AMD Radeon card model is the
> latest supported by the drm-stable-kmod ?
> Note that I would like to get more or less working box, not just kernel
> panic...

Hi Denis

Apologies for the outdated wiki page. We're working to get all the
information up to date and sort out the driver confusion.

For FreeBSD 11.2 you'll need drm-stable-kmod. For FreebSD 12+ you can
experiment with drm-next-kmod (known to have a few bugs).
drm-stable-kmod support graphic cards same as Linux 4.9 and drm-next-kmod
Linux 4.11.

radeonkms driver supports up to Sea Islands.
amdgpu driver does for sure not support Vega and I'm not sure exactly up to
what GPU is confirmed to work. Looking for what is support by Linux 4.9 can
give some hints.

Perhaps someone more familiar with AMD GPUs have some more info?