Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 09:00:39 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Bill Beavers <bbeavers@Moonraker.afsc.k12.ar.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cyclades pci won't compile

>>    What happened to the patch to /sys/conf/files?
>>
>> pci/cy_pci.c            optional cy device-driver
>>

>Well, this is kinda weird to me...  In the /sys/conf/  I have a files, a
>files.orig and a files.newconf
>
>The files has no mention of the pci/cy_pci.c line
>
>but
>
>The file.orig does have the line.
>
>Should I rename files.orig to files and recompile my kernel?

   I'd do a diff -c and make sure that this is the only difference. If it is,
then go ahead and rename it. Be sure to do another "config". You probably
applied the patch twice, and the second time it said something like "patch
already applied, assume -R?". If you answered yes, then the patch would have
been reverted.

>  How do
>these files come into play.  does the kernel read them when it is building?
>
>I very much appreciate your help in my understanding of these things.

   "config" reads the file (and others) and generates the Makefile which is
used to build everything.

-DG

David Greenman