Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:43:01 -0700
From:      Andrew Stuart <elitetek@tekrealm.net>
To:        "P. U. Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: samba(2.2.8) printer server (on 4.8-RELEASE)

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 at 07:58:05 +0200, P. U. Kruppa wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am trying to set up a printer server
> (SAMBA 2.2.8 package on 4.8 -RELEASE, printer is a Kyocera
> FS-3700+ laser printer) which should be accessible from Win2000
> and WinNT4 workstations _without_ any authentication.
>
> These are the steps I have taken so far:
>
> 1. I used apsfilter to make the kyocera work locally as a
>    postscript-printer called lp .
> 2. (Sorry - stupid me forgot to bring home a copy of smb.cfg over
>     the weekend)
>    I edited smb.cfg so that the printer-server and lp itself can
>    be seen in Windows' network enviroment, i.e. I set
>    security = share
>    and put up a share called
>    [printers]
>      browseable = yes
>      path = /var/spool/lpd/lp
>      read only = yes
>      printable = yes
>      guest ok = yes
>    and I
>    # chmod -R 4777 /var/spool/lpd/lp
> 3. I used windows' printer setup to install the kyocera driver
>    for lp
> 4. When I try to print something, everything looks fine from the
>    client side and I can see some blinking of the
>    printer-server's LED's but nothing more happens.
>    The windows printer queue stays empty, no files are created in
>    /var/spool/lpd/lp
>
> Any ideas, what could be done next?
>
> Uli.

did you let samba compile with cups support? (its set by default)

If so, rebuild samba checking the box for nocups "without CUPS"

and try printing again, most likely it will work perfectly.

There appears to be a bug in the way samba handles the cups support, my
guess is it defaults the print/lprm/lppause/lpresume commands
differently then it does when you specify nocups.

-Andrew

--
Andrew Stuart
http://www.tekrealm.net

"If we were meant to fly, we wouldn't keep losing our luggage."