Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:20:56 +0200
From:      Gareth Bailey <gjbailey@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Internet sharing authentication

Greetings,

I have set up a FreeBSD gateway/firewall with ipf and ipnat in the
past, but I am now confronted with a new challenge. I need to setup
the firewall to only allow internet (www) access to users who
successfully authenticate themselves with a username/password
combination.

Ideally, a user will open their web browser and be confronted with a
authentication popup before gaining access to browse the web. Users
should be able to access mail without authentication.

Please advise on what I might use to do this.

Thanks,
Gareth