Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 07:57:43 +0100
From:      Dirk Froemberg <dirk@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel panic if using SCSI CDROM as root device

Hi!

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 03:40:58PM -0700, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 23:33:37 +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >Poul-Henning, any idea why this might be blowing up?  It looks like the
> > >slice pointer isn't initialized for some reason.
> >
> > Has the disk actually been opened ?
>
> Good question, I dunno.
>
> You'd figure this stuff would work, since the CD installation process boots
> off of a CD.
>
> But of course Dirk may be using the new El Torito boot code that enables
> non-emulation booting.  (i.e. you're not booting off of a floppy image
> anymore)  Is that what you're using Dirk?

No... The CD image is created with

	mkisofs -U -R -b cdboot/boot.flp -c cdboot/boot.catalog -o /var/tmp/bootable.iso /usr/CDROM

boot.flp is a copy of 4.4-RELEASE's floppy with a GENERIC kernel on
it.

The iso image can be fetched from

ftp://ftp.todo.de/pub/FreeBSD/CD-ROM-images/bootable.iso.bz2

if someone likes to look at it.

(it's about 45 MB)

> That would change things around somewhat, since the ISO9660 code would now
> be running the root device where before it was probably the msdos
> filesystem code.
>
> > I have fixed some instances where some of the boot-glue would issue
> > ioctl' calls to disks which were not yet opened, that used to work,
> > despite being a gross error.
>
> Yeah, I can certainly see how that could cause problems.

	Regards Dirk

--
Dirk Froemberg

FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!		http://www.FreeBSD.org/