Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:04:41 GMT
From:      msch@snafu.de
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, msch@snafu.de, sos@freebsd.dk, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA errors on recent -current

> > So: I changed line 186 in sys/dev/ata/ata-disk.c from
> >
> > adp->num_tags = atadev->param->queuelen;

> > adp->num_tags = 0x10;
> >
> > which is roughly the half of the reported queuelenght (which is 0x1F).
> >
> > And, Terry, I can't avoid to disappoint you... there's absolutely *no*
> > change in the behaviour of the new kernel :-(
>
> Uh... the "16" you changed to "10" was decimal, so changining it
> to 0x10 changes it to ... 16.
>
> Rather than point out the hex/decimal confusion earlier, that's
> why I said "/2".

Ahm, Terry, perhaps I misunderstand you, but: The reported queue-length is
31(dec), which is 0x1F(hex), as stated above. The half of it would be 15.5(dec)
what I rounded up to 16(dec), which is approx. 0x10(hex). Where's your point?

> Soren's commit is for a -current specific merge.  The problems
> you are seeing supposedly are in RELENG_4, and will probably not
> be effected... though the commit will provide much better
> diagnostics than I've suggested.  8-).

All I posted here is done, even if my signature states something different,
under -current. This last test was done under a -current of Apr 18,2002, 18:00
UTC. I run my allday system, from which I'm posting and writing my e-mail, under
-STABLE... I hope that clears things a bit.

Ciao/BSD -
Matthias