Date:      Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:10:09 -0500
From:      Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        scottl@freebsd.org
Subject:   hptmv support on AMD64

Hi,

The man page for the hptmv (HighPoint RocketRAID 182x) drivers, on 6.0
and 5.4 states:

---

*NOTES* <http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=hptmv&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+5.4-stable&format=html#end>;
     The *hptmv* driver only works on the i386 platform as it requires a binary
     blob object from the manufacturer which they only supply for the i386
     platform
---

This is however not true, at least not anymore. HighPoint provides open
source drivers that include the blob for i386 and amd64, as seen here
http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/bios_rr1810a.htm on the open source
driver version 1.12. Also the man page for -CURRENT says that i386 AND
amd64 is supported. Is there any way that we can update FreeBSDs' 5.x
and 6.x drivers to this current version? I have a dual Opteron server
that i would like to run in native mode, but the fact that i have to
download binary modules, (which don't support 6.0) is a PITA when
keeping the system up to date.

Thank You.