Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:37:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Vadim Belman <voland@plab.ku.dk>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B network collisions

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Vadim Belman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> after having heard so many positive opinions about the
> network card in <subj>, we decided to give it a try on
> our new FreeBSD 2.2.7 machine (previously we used
> 3COM 905 TP for all of ours FreeBSD boxes).
>
> Surprisingly, we found that Intel board produces a _huge_
> number of network collisions, almost for every output
> packet.
>
> The strange thing is that we anyhow had a terrific
> transfer rate - absolutely the same as with 3COMs
> (~920 Kb/s on a 10 mbps connection).
>
> It is definitely a problem with the card, for we have also
> tried 3COM on the same machine, with predictable zero number
> of collisions.  There is quite likely that this is not a problem
> with a particular Intel card, for we have also tried another one
> --- with the same bad results.
>
> We have 3COM switches installed in our location.
>
> Did anyone experience the same or similar problem with
> cards in question?
>
> We'd appreciate any help;  we think the results we obtained
> are kind of strange.

I set up a small network for someone using a P5-200 with a
EtherExpress Pro 100/B running a 2.2.5-STABLE copy of FreeBSD (just
before 2.2.6 came out, actually) and Samba for SMB filesharing.  The
hub I used was a small 16-port 10BaseT Netgear job (I hear good things
about NetGear.. don't know if they're true or not).

My situation is still to this day worse than what you are
experiencing. Luckily the load is rather low so the person doesn't
care or even notice, but I still want to eventually resolve this. The
three clients are running Win95 OSR2.1 with 3COM 3c509s (EtherLink
III).  Upon transferring any data between the server and the Win95
boxen, there is an interesting collision phenomena.  According to
netstat, the amount of collisions vs. data flow seem to follow an
almost half-duty-cycle sawtooth waveform pattern (you electronics nuts
will know what I'm talking about).  Actual data transfer rates start
out high, and collisions begin to inch up until the collision rate is
so high that absolutely no data passes, and then the collision rate
suddenly drops to zero and data starts going full-speed again.  The
cycles continue and each cycle lasts approximately 4 or 5 seconds.

The cabling appears to be fine and the same situation occurs even if I
remove all nodes from the network except the ones under test, and I
have tested each client with the same results.

If you ever figure out what is going on or if anyone else could shed
light on this I'd also be grateful.  :-)

P.S.  I always figured it was just because FreeBSD was too damn fast
for those poor Windows clients and they couldn't choke the data down
fast enough. ;->

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
/* FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and compatibles (SPARC and Alpha under development)
   (http://www.freebsd.org)                                         */