Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 13:14:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dario Alcocer <dalcocer@home.com>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Subject:   Re: Why should I upgrade from 2.2.8 to 3.4

    Richard> Perhaps there needs to be a more emphatic public posting
    Richard> to the effect that 2.2.x is "moldy" and supported only to
    Richard> the extent that the few remaining users of this system
    Richard> contribute patches. Unless they have COMPELLING reasons
    Richard> to remain with 2.2.x, all users SHOULD UPGRADE to 3.4.

One problem I've seen with upgrading to 3.4 is installing on
low-memory machines.  The 2.2.8 install boot floppy works on an 8MB
machine, but 3.x does not; it needs at least 12MB to install.  (I
wonder if it's just a problem with too many drivers in the boot
floppy.  Maybe this problem could be addressed by having a smaller
kernel on the install boot floppy.)

Anyway, I found this problem when I tried upgrading an existing 2.2.8
firewall/router machine to 3.1, and the install failed due to this 8MB
problem.  Others have run into this problem as well:

    http://www.deja.com/=dnc/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=515625181
    http://www.deja.com/=dnc/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=516009396

--
Dario Alcocer // dalcocer@home.com