Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 13:09:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marc W <mwlist@lanfear.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, tech@squid.tznet.com
Subject:   Re:SUN TO BSD

    It actually shouldn't be that hard to write a script to convert all
the information-- except for the passwords themselves -- The encrypted
version of a password that I have same across my Solaris 8 and FreeBSD
4.2 machines aren't the same.

    No idea how you'd convert those ... :(

    If you KNOW the plain text passwords, then you could easily write
some scripts to add the accounts, and then just run "passwd".
Otherwise, you could probably create the accounts, give them a default
password and somehow communicate that privately to the users, and then
have them go change it again ...

    of course, there might very well be a better solution as well ....

    marc.