Date:      Tue, 4 Aug 1998 14:59:50 -0700 (MST)
From:      James Snow <sno@teardrop.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Weird /home problem

We recently segregated our users into subdirectories of /home. The
appropriate changes were made via vipw to the password file, and all the
directories were moved.

The problem that now exists is that if any of /home's subdirectories are
chmoded to 750, users' home directories are not found at login.

It doesn't happen if the directories are set to 751 or 755, it doesn't
happen if you ssh in, it doesn't happen if you run /usr/bin/login by hand
after logging in, and it doesn't happen if you use screen and ^a-c out to
a shell.

It happens whether or not telnetd is wrapped with tcpwrappers, it happens
despite telnetd being run as root, and it happens even with a very liberal
set of permissions on any file I could conceive of being used in the login
process.

We are running 2.2.7-Stable, and the only modifications to our login
process are the tcpwrappers.

I'm open to any and all ideas.

Thanks in advance,
James Snow