Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2001 16:02:09 -0600
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Michael_Lyngb=F8l?= <michael@lyngbol.dk>, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: relocating primary DNS server

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 02:41:48PM -0700, Forrest W. Christian wrote:
#
#> Yes, I'm aware of this interface.  I was hoping I could do it without
#> having to use NSI, since the primary nameserver for the domain in
#> question is also the primary for about 600 other domains.  I guess the
#> real question is when I do a whois(1) I see the primary and secondary
#> nameserver along with their IP address.  If the IP address of one of
#> them changes is this information static (meaning I have to go through
#> all 600+ and change each one) or will NSI and the root servers pickup
#> this information dynamically based on the changes I make?
#
# There is one authoritative host record.   To change the IP address of the
# server, you need only change it with the registrar it is registered with.

Okay just be sure here's what I'm going to do.  Let's say the
domain is xyz9.org and zone file currently looks like this:

$DOMAIN xyz9.org.
        IN NS   ns1.xyz9.org.
        IN NS   ns2.xyz9.org.
ns1     IN A    192.168.12.21
ns2     IN A    192.168.12.22
ns3     IN A    10.0.0.21

Yes I know those are not internet-routable IP addresses.  They are
just examples. :)  I'm going to use the NSI interface to set the
primary for xyz9.org to ns3 with the new IP address.  Both ns1 and
ns3 will be configured with all the same zone files.  Sit back and
hope it doesn't take NSI months to fulfill their end of the deal.

Will that work?  Are there any stumbling blocks with this approach?

Thanks.

-steve