Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 13:08:13 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   STB tuner

Hi,

I rang out the lines on the STB card that program the addresses of
the tuner and stereo decoder.

---
The tuner's PLL (TSA551x) AD line looks to be grounded, which puts
its address at:

0xc0 (write)
0xc1 (read)

---
The stereo decoder (TDA9850) has its MAD line floating (NOT connected
to ground), so its address should be:

0xb6 (write)
0xb7 (read)

--------------
open questions:

1: is PORT bit P3 ("custom application bit") of the tuner module
	attached/used for anything?
	Note that I CANNOT find any output pin on the tuner for
	this signal so I suspect its a moot point.

2: the tuner datasheet (FI1236) page 14, note #3, says:
	I2,I1,I0 = digital info for IO ports P2,P1,P0
   BUT the pll datasheet (TSA5511) page 5, table 2, says:
	I2,I1,I0 = digital info for IO ports P7,P5,P4

   If anyone has the "tin can" open, could they record the chip
	numbers?  unfortunately someone already looked at the top side
	and saw no I2C chips, the chip of interest is probably
	on the bottom side...

3: I need a source documenting the frequencies of "channels", ie,
	for each tv channel I need to know its actual frequency.

   Can anyone explain why the tuner datasheet claims support for
	channels 2 thru 69, while the STB manual claims "125 channel
	ready"?  is that a CATV number, with CATV channels being
	more tighly packed?  or ???

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD