Date:      Mon, 02 Mar 2009 17:21:53 -0800
From:      Andrew Moran <sneepre@mac.com>
To:        Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SpamAssassin/Perl eating enormous amounts of memory?

On Mar 2, 2009, at 3:39 PM, Mel wrote:

> This is hard to debug, but I'd first toggle the PERL_MALLOC option
> in the
> configuration dialog for the perl port. If this doesn't solve the
> problem,
> then you'd have to get a ktrace to get some indication of what is
> allocating
> the memory.

Thank you for your suggestion.  I'll try compiling Perl and it's
dependencies without using PERL_MALLOC.

> What's even weirder is that the process gets that far. Did you play
> with
> kern.maxdsiz loader tuneable?
> If so, set it lower, so you can at least have the machine in a
> usable state at
> all times. 4G should be enough for any process and should give
> enough time
> for you to spot the leak and get a ktrace.

Nope, I haven't tweaked any kernel settings, just using the generic
DEFAULT amd64 kernel.   I've been way about tweaking settings because
I don't fully understand what the 'correct' values for my setup are.