Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 12:51:47 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Claude Buisson <ubc@adam.framatome.fr>
To:        Guy Helmer <ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, pst@freebsd.org, dhcp-dist@wide.ad.jp
Subject:   Re: WIDE dhcp server

On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, Guy Helmer wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, Claude Buisson wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I am trying to use the WIDE dhcp server (dhcp1.3beta with the "port" files
> > downloaded from ftp.freebsd.org), under FreeBSD-2.1R.
> > A look at the packets with a sniffer shows that the response packets on
> > Ethernet have an protocol field equal to 0008 instead of 0800, and are
> > consequently interpreted as IEEE802.3/2 packets instead of "classical"
> > DIX Ethernet packets.
> > What have I missed ?
>
> I've heard it said that the "port" is broken.  I've used the plain
> dhcp-1.3beta distribution with minor changes at my site without problems,
> but that also may be due to the fact that I'm not serving BOOTP/DHCP to
> the local subnet (all requests are forwarded via relays).  Somebody on
> these lists recently gave a pointer to a supposedly working dhcp-1.3beta
> for FreeBSD, but I didn't keep the URL :-(
>
> I could send my minor patches to the original source, if you like, but
> they may not solve your problem...
>
> Guy Helmer
>
> Guy Helmer, Dakota State University Computing Services - ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu

I got limited success with the following (dirty) trick:

 replace htons(ETHERTYPE_IP) by ETHERTYPE_IP in dhcps.c (2 places),

wich implies that the proper network order is restored at write time.

Now my server and a Win95 PC talk to each other. The PC get its IP address
from its MAC address (static allocation) but does not get yet the default
gateway address and DNS domain name and server address.

Yes, I am interested by getting your patches.

BTW, the 22 Jan 1996 port from FreeBSD.org has patches only for the
Makefiles, not for the source.

Thank you,

Claude Buisson
FRAMATOME