Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2019 20:22:45 +0200
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to explore Android device files under FreeBSD ?

El día domingo, julio 14, 2019 a las 07:44:16p. m. +0200, Polytropon escribió:

> Why doesn't it seem to occur to people that this sounds entirely wrong?
> It's not that it is impossible, or doesn't work - but shouldn't it be
> much easier to copy _your_ photos from _your_ phone without requiring
> a 3rd party app, registering for a crappy cloud service, or mess with
> "developer settings"?
>
> In my opinion, it should be as easy as attaching the USB cable and
> then immediately having access to a direct access mass storage, as
> per the standard. Mount it, copy your files, unmount it, done. No
> need for apps and cloud nonsense. Of course, using an MTP interface
> is also easy, and with GUI tools like gtkam, access is super easy.
> It should work that way by default, with cable.
>
> Why do manufacturers think it's okay to make things needlessly
> complicated? I mean... I even got this working with an iPad, so
> why should an Android-based phone, where Android is usually considered
> "some kind of Linux", force you to do annoying things? I think with
> the tools available on FreeBSD, it should be possible to get images
> copied from an Android phone without much messing with that phone.

I slightly disagree. A Linux based mobile device should behave like
this. It should present itself via SSH and allow access to your photos
with scp or rsync+ssh, and if you need some GUI, use something of KDE or
Gnome which works on top of SSH to present the dirs and files in a
Norton Commander style. My Ubuntu mobile device works like this (and I
do use rsync and ssh/scp all days). The Android based mobiles *could*
behave the same way, but Google does not want this and want that the
user uses something else, for example some cloud. The upcoming Puri.sm
L5 will also be a normal Linux system. I'm awaiting mine in Q3 of this
year.

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
May, 9: Спаси́бо освободители! Thank you very much, Russian liberators!