Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 2008 05:19:40 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>, Gerrit K?hn <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Regression 7.0R -> 7-stable?

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 09:47:06PM +1000, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 01:29:47PM +0200, Gerrit K?hn wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have a rather new FujitsuSiemens Esprimo here with an AMD Phenom X3
> > processor (triple core is somehow strange :-) and a lot of NVidia stuff
> > onboard. I installed 7.0-R, which ran quite well except for the bge driver
> > and snd_hda which both complained.
> > After putting in an extra networking card I was able to install some more
> > software and all appeared to be nice. Then I cvsupped to the recent
> > 7-stable as of today. My hope was that maybe the bge or the sound card
> > would improve from this. However, the new kernel I compiled does not run
> > at all. It boots up to CPU#1 and CPU#2 lauchned messages and then sits
> > there and does nothing anymore. I have verified this behaviour with amd64
> > snapshot images from July and August to make sure I did not compile a bad
> > kernel. Both show the same behaviour.
> > Are there any ideas what has changed from 7.0-R to recent 7.0-stable that
> > could cause this? What can I do to debug/fix this?
>
> Make sure you have this in your /etc/sysctl.conf:
>
>     [~] edwin@k7>grep hyper /etc/sysctl.conf
>     machdep.hyperthreading_allowed=1
>
> Then with top you can see the CPUs in use ----------v
>
>   PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
> 69200 edwin         9  44    0   236M   130M ucond  0  33:37  5.76% seamonkey-b
>  3317 edwin         1  71    0 38404K 33572K select 1   3:51  0.10% mutt
>  3015 edwin         1  45    0   403M 81672K select 0 101:52  0.00% Xorg

I think you misread what he was saying.  :-)  He's saying that his
system locks up hard after the kernel prints the "SMP: AP CPU #x
Launched!" messages.

I believe this is the 2nd or 3rd report we've had of this behaviour, re:
system locking up hard after those messages.  I'll see if I can find the
past reports; I'm going off of memory, but they were in recent days.

Also (for you Edwin), be aware of the security issues when enabling HTT,
as well as the possible decrease in system performance (while increase
in power draw) it can cause:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading#Security
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading#Future