Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 21:47:06 +0300
From:      Alex Kapranoff <alex@kapran.bitmcnit.bryansk.su>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreBSD Rulez

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 04:32:18AM -0800, John Wilson wrote:
> Well having read the interview, I came to the conclusion that it's nothing
> but FUD, and the guy is not to be taken seriously.  I mean, break into any
> system?  Secure a server to make it impenetrable by attackers?  Pleeease.
> See for yourselves.
>
> John
>
> [who has translated selected parts into English from the original Russian]

> Atos:  May I ask you a few technical questions?  What operating systems were
> they running?  [the servers he'd hacked into -J.W.]
>
> Webster:  Linux, kernel 2.0.38 with no significant security holes, which is
> absolutely impossible to penetrate from outside without a user account on
> the system.  [But he did nonetheless - does it mean he had an account?
> -J.W.]

  Yes, this was a two-stage break-in. First, some less secure server, then
use those accounts on the main target. (people do use identical passwords)

> Atos:  Can you break into any server, or do you use some known security
> holes or exploits?
>
> Webster:  I can break into any system.

  Remember, he was just seeking for jobs. He clearly stated it on the spoofed
pages. And he tried to make impression in all his interviews (there're lots of).
Anyway no excuse for cracker.

> Atos:  Can you be sure than no-one will ever be able to hack into a server
> secured by you?
>
> Webster:  I am absolutely certain.

  Same thing. This country is still staggering and it's sometimes really hard
to find job for a young professional.

> Atos:  This interview is likely to be published on the Internet.  Would you
> like to add anything, or give some advice to Internet Service Providers?
>
> Webster:  They should follow the example of www.elvis.ru and never install
> Linux on a large number of servers, which is but a recipe for disaster.  I
> personally recommend FreeBSD.

  FreeBSD is strong in Russia. It doesn't need any advocacy here.
We grok values ;-))

--
Alex Kapranoff,
2:50/383.20@fidonet,