Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 00:04:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Christopher Nielsen <enkhyl@scient.com>
To:        Brian Feldman <green@zone.syracuse.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPv6 in -current

I talked to the KAME folks a while back about helping to integrate their
work into -current. The response I received was that they were integrating
into one of the 3.0-BETA snapshots (unsure of which one), and that any
patches I had to bring it up to -current would be useful once that
integration was complete. My life's been kinda turned upside down
recently, so I've been too busy to work on this (and other things I sorta
committed to for FreeBSD) I'm not sure of the status on their integration.
I'd certainly be willing to help out with testing, and when my life
settles down a bit, I might be able to help with implementation, too. I'm
another one that would really like to see IPv6 and IPSEC in FreeBSD.

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Brian Feldman wrote:

> Yes, I can understand this. I mean, when things get rushed, noone is happy
> (I won't open the 3.0 can of worms, but I'm glad Jordan (or whoever else
> did them?) had the guts to say it is a _developer_release_! Damn nestea
> bug...)) I am expressing my sentiments that this would be a GREAT selling
> point for a later FreeBSD release, just like CAM, SoftUpdates, new VM
> system, SMP,the new boot-loader, ELF, all sorts of code rewirtes, etc. are
> great selling points for 3.x. Whenever a regional ISP does IPv6, I
> wouldn't mind at all in testing/implementing IPv6 in various parts of the
> system (and yes, I mean modem ISP *sigh*). Let's not rush it, but we
> should get KAME or another IPv6 stack in a vendor branch as soon as
> feasible/comfortable.
>
> Cheers,
> Brian Feldman
>
> On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > > It would look Really Good on, say, 3.1-RELEASE release notes to say:
> > > 	* Full IPv6 implementation in-kernel and libc!
> > > Just a thought :)
> >
> > It would suck, however, if the consensus was that we rushed the
> > integration just to get the check-mark item.  The people in the driving
> > seat are acutely aware of the pros and cons, and I'm inclined to accept
> > their judgement (while also accepting that supportive noise from the
> > userbase such as yours is also *extremely* valuable).
> >
> > --
> > \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
> > \\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
> > \\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> > \\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

Christopher Nielsen
Scient: The Art and Science of Electronic Business
<http://www.scient.com>;
cnielsen@scient.com