Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 03:31:50 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
To:        Rezamys <rezath@tm.net.my>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbie: how to compile & run C program in 3.2Release?

On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 10:33:21AM +0800, Rezamys wrote:
> Hi all,
> This surely sound silly but at least i'm being honest to myself...
> Anyways, i created a simple program e.g "hello world" in the ee editor
> and did a complilation like this:
>
>      bash$  cc hello.c
>
> It gave no error. Fine. When i type:
>
>      bash$  hello.c
>
> The output tells me that "hello.c command not found"...
> I heard from a friend that we have to see the ouput (on the screen)
> "hello world" in your editor and not at your prompt.

The output from ``cc hello.c'', the program, will be called ``a.out''
and will be in your current directory. Try typing ``./a.out''. You
need the ``./'' if the current dir is not in your path.

If you want your program to be called something other than a.out,
use the ``-o'' option when you compile:

cc -o hello hello.c

This will name the program ``hello''

HTH