Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 07:50:26 -0400
From:      "James C. Durham" <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Blade Encoder speed

Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> On 20 Jul, James C. Durham wrote:
>
> > I'm loathe to have to boot M$ to encode. However,
> > I have hundreds of hours of old audio tape I'd like
> > to encode before it falls apart, but at that speed,
> > it becomes a grueling task 8-) .
>
> If you only want to archive them (instead of stream them over the net),
> what about an encoder with VBR (e.g. Lame, http://www.sulaco.org/mp3/)?
> Here (PII-266) it encodes at about 0.6 times of play-speed. You should
> also have a look at the homepage and read a little bit about the
> quality.

Actually, I grabbed lame late last night (It appears
the distfile has been removed from most sites and the
patch file at the russian sites is truncated)... got
it at ftp.internat.freebsd.org.

I'm still at about 5:1. Guess this system is just
that slow. Interesting...

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated 8-).

Jim Durham