Date:      Sun, 16 May 2004 20:13:33 +0100
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new arp code snapshot for review...

On Sunday 25 April 2004 17:49, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> Here is a snapshot of the new arp code that i have been working on
> lately, based a on Andre's ideas. (I say 'ARP' for brevity, what i
> mean is the layer3-to-layer2 address translation code -- arp, aarp,
> nd6 all fit in the category).

Sorry for the delay but I've only just had reason to look at the arp
code since I've recently been working on an implementation of rfc2734
IP over firewire. In your patch, you assume that the size of the
link-level address is always six bytes. This assumption is not valid -
from the looks of the existing arp code, people went to great lengths
to avoid making this assumption throughout the networking code.

For IP over firewire, the link-level address is sixteen bytes. Other
link types have various sizes. You must use ifp->if_addrlen in the
generic code to cope with this correctly.