Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 1996 15:18:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        tim@sssun.spb.su
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What choice of 100 mbps Ethernet boards?

On Thu, 4 Jan 1996, Andrew Timonin wrote:

> The one is ised on HP Ethernet HUBs and the other on DEC, and
> the worst news for me was that they are incompatible :-(

    There are two main camps in the Fast Ethernet market:  those based
on the 100-baseTX standard and those based on the 100VG-AnyLAN
standard.  The SMC9332 is a 100-baseTX NIC.  HP developed VG-AnyLAN
(in conjunction with IBM, I think), so it isn't surprising their
network hubs can only talk to 100VG-AnyLAN NIC's.  We have a 3com
LinkSwitch 1000 with 24 10-baseT ports and one 100-baseTX port (with
room for a second) and it works just beautifully with the SMC.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org)
Systems Administrator, Internex Online Inc.