Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 1999 21:17:23 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
Cc:        dkulp@neomorphic.com, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compatibility list

> The mailing list archives have a sad tale to tell on this matter.
>
> It is not at all difficult to find places where interested parties and
> working code have been turned away for failing to meet the gatekeepers'
> standards for architectural purity.

Architectural purity?  I wouldn't call breaking the ability to run on
desktops architectural purity.

The problem is that PAO is inherently laptop specific, and that there
are no teams of 'interested parties' aside from the PAO code that have
donated code.  The last code donation I dealt with was from Ted Faber,
and lives in /sys/pci/pcic_p.*

> I hacked on the 3.1 PC-CARD support enough to get me back to where I was with
> 2.2-PAO.  It was not rocket science.

Try and use this same 'kernel' code on your desktop and watch it fall
over.

Nate