Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 00:08:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Joel Godwin <rentech@swbell.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Troubles.

On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Joel Godwin wrote:

> Ok, I'm having major problems installing FreeBSD on my system.  Tried to
> do it via FTP, no go...never could get through.  So, in my strong desire
> to set up this system, I bought the CD.  Now, I'm running Win95 on a
> Compaq Presario P90.  The CD type (as reported by Win95) is a Sony type,
> and I made sure during the unix bootup that that was the one left, but
> unfortunately it was unable to recognize the drive in the unix
> environment.

Hm.  You might try moving the CDROM to the primary controller.

> So, the next thing I tried was loading from a DOS
> Partition.  I have a 2 Gig hard drive (well, I have 2 hard drives) and
> it's set up at the slave drive to the other one.  So, it's D:.  That's
> also where I've set up my partition for FreeBSD.  Well, I copied the
> entire CD to that drive,

BZZT!  Wrong!  See INSTALL.TXT on the CDROM -- there is a _specific_
directory layout for a DOS install.

Besides that, the CD has a lot of cruft on it -- why would you want to
waste 600mb when install is only going to use about 100mb of it?

> went into install mode, and apparently it
> doesn't care to install from the same physical drive that the unix
> partition is on.

It should.  Are you sure you selected your PRIMARY DOS partition?

> So, I moved most of what I wanted over to the Master
> drive, C:, and tried the install from there.  Now, this was a success,
> it appeared to have installed everything I wanted....with one
> exception..Bootmanager didn't work at all, I mean, I didn't even get the
> little prompt that's talked about in the troubleshooting
> section....nada, nunca, zip, zilch.

If you are installing to a second disk, you must install BootEasy manually
to the first disk.  Install glitch.  You'll have to boot DOS or use the
'lock' command, but just copy 'bootinst.exe' and boot.bin off the CD to
the hard disk and run bootinst and you should be good.