Date:      Sat, 01 Sep 2001 14:49:30 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Wrong MAC.. Now what?

In a  previous thread here:

   Subject:  Frustrating network problem - need diagnotic help

A problem involving Freebsd-4.3<snap> finding an incorrect MAC address
for a pcmcia NIC, was discussed in some detail.  It became clear that
the MAC is incorrect but no one has given an idea of how to set it
differently or if it can be set differently.

In summary:
A toshiba 4005CDS running FreeBSD-4.3-STABLE(08/07/01), and no firewall
rules, is able to connect to anything on lan or internet outgoing but no
connections work inbound.  That is the Address cannot be pinged ssh'd
etc.

The MAC found with `ifconfig ed0':

    ether 01:d4:ff:03:00:20

Is apparently wrong by standards defined in `802.3'

And in fact, firing up a win98 OS on the same machine and using the dos
command `ipconfig /All I get a different MAC that can be pinged,
connected to etc.

>> Using dos command `ipconfig /All'  I get the `physical address'
>> 00-E0-98-80-08-48

Now the question is what can be done to get the correct MAC address in
FreeBSD?