Date:      Fri, 31 May 1996 14:56:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, bde@zeta.org.au, grog@lemis.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Indentation styles

> > Nobody barfed on the 100-column stuff in userconfig, so I was presuming this
> > wasn't an issue.  If anyone wants to see what 80-column braindamage looks
> > like, they should scope out pcvt.  (or was it syscons? I can't remember...)
> >
> > > I also realize that this is going to be a highly unpopular position to
> > > take in these comparatively early days of GUI technology, so be it -
> > > just consider me 3-4 years ahead of my time on this issue. :-)
> >
> > Ehh, even the VT100 can handle 132 columns 8)
>
> Wrong. Only a VT100 with an AVO installed. (For the curious: the Advanced
> Video Option board).

A VT100 without AVO can do 12 row 132 columns.

The AVO board came with a replacement ROM; if anyone is interested,
a VT100 with an AVO preinstalled is a VT102.  I happen to have a
reference manual for a VT102P (VT100+AVO+printer port)...

Without an AVO, you got to select between reverse and underline
attributes; with AVO, you get revrse, underline, blink, and bold,
simultaneously.  You also got insert/delete char/line and a bunch
of lesser additional ANSI commands.

Yes, I'm a geek who spent way too may years writing emulation software
for a terminal software company (extra points: what's the difference
between a VT130 and a VT131?  It's a trick question... 8-)).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.