Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 07:23:13 +1100 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@freebsd1.cimlogic.com.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jim.king@mail.sstar.com, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha port..

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> And I'm sure you're not alone in wanting to see that happen.  The
> question here seems more to be one of who we're going to line up to
> actually *do* that. :)

Sorry, but I *still* don't see what this achieves other than further
fragmenting an already low user-base. I've said in the past that I'd
like to see a FreeBSD user-space on top of a NetBSD/Alpha kernel.
I know that this is not a simple task because the kernel interface
differs. Clean that up and you're well on the way to supporting the
other architectures that NetBSD has too.

But if people put all their effort into trying to munge the i386-centric
low-level kernel code to run on the Alpha it will be a long time before
you even get back to where NetBSD is at the moment. So what have you
achieved?

Another thing that needs some effort IMHO, is keeping the device driver
interface consistent between the BSD variants so that anyone can pick up
a driver from one and use it on another. I'd like to see someone write
a design document that defines exactly what the device driver interface
is. And I don't mean example code, but something you could test for
compliance against. And if you're being adventurous, try including the
NetBSD design in there too. But I guess that is not the sort of thing
that hackers want to do. 8-(

> 					Jordan

Regards,

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@netbsd.org; jb@freebsd.org
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137