Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:45:08 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org, Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>, Simon Gerraty <sjg@juniper.net>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd.own.mk - just let WITHOUT_* take precedence

--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 12:39:04PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 10:48:53AM -0500, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 05:14:23PM -0700, Simon Gerraty wrote:
> > > After being bitten by:
> > > make: "/b/sjg/work/fbsd-head/src/share/mk/bsd.own.mk" line 490: WITH_=
CTF
> > > and WITHOUT_CTF can't both be set.
> > I'm not sure if I agree or not, I'll have to think more.  This sort of
> > thing that leads to me yelling at my computer "but I @#%$@# set
> > WITH_FOO you ^@$@! machine." :)
>=20
> Brooks,
> Isn't that what some folks are currently doing trying to build a fully
> DTrace ready system?

Yes, though I've partially fixed this so you can actually follow the
instructions in the wiki and set WITH_CTF though make.conf.

> Have you had a chance to review Simon's latest diff?

Yes it's fine if the problem we want to solve is being able to set
WITH_FOO and WITHOUT_FOO.  I'm not sure we don't really just want to let
WITH_FOO be overridden by NO_FOO more reliably.

> This is the only build knob I'm aware of where setting it manually in the
> environment doesn't work the same as setting it in /etc/{src,make}.conf.

There is also INSTALLLIB, MAN, and PROFILE, but I agree it's not ideal.
I think I'd rather have NO_* override WITH_* in the later checks than
always having WITHOUT_FOO override WITH_FOO.

> Its been too hard to build a fully DTrace-ready FreeBSD for a long time.
> We really need closure on this -- DTrace is too useful.
>=20
>=20
> Note that our Handbook () still has:
>=20
>     <!-- XXXTR: WITH_CTF has been reported to leave a user with a
>          broken system when used with buildworld.  Until this is
>          fixed, comment out those parts.  When uncommenting, kill
>          the extra screen.
>     -->
>=20
>     <!-- &prompt.root; <userinput>make WITH_CTF=3D1 buildworld</userinput=
> -->
>     <!-- &prompt.root; <userinput>make WITH_CTF=3D1 installworld</userinp=
ut>
>=20
>=20
> We really need to make this as easy as possible for users and get the
> docs matching reality.

I believe this is largely wrong and outdated.

-- Brooks

>=20
> --=20
> -- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)