Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 16:12:36 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        DARREND@novell.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, SCSI@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disk Mirroring

 * Is there a way to mirror two disks in FreeBSD?  The two different
 * possibilities are at the driver layer or at the filesystem layer.
 * I imagine the driver layer would be the easiest.  Just take the
 * block to be written and write it out to both disks.  The reason I
 * suggest the filesystem layer is to avoid duplicating the swap space
 * on both disks.  It would be cool if the boot code could
 * automatically deal with either disk failing and still having the
 * system boot.  Naturally, the driver should be able to deal with
 * either disk failing.  Has anyone given this some thought?  With
 * disks getting real cheap, it is a good way to have some fault
 * tolerance with out the cost or performance hit of RAID.  (Actually,
 * I think mirroring is one form of RAID.)

There is a driver called "ccd" (concatenated disk) that I ported from
NetBSD.  It is designed primarily for striping disk arrays but it has
mirror support so you can use it to mirror partitions by just making
it a mirrored 2-disk array. :)

Please take a look at

  http://stampede.cs.berkeley.edu/ccd/

for details.  I'm planning to put it into -current soon but there's a
2.1R version too.

Satoshi