Date:      Sun, 29 Jan 2017 02:10:12 +0000 (UTC)
From:      jbeich@freebsd.org (Jan Beich)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Firefox and sndio

Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk> writes:

> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 14:58:51 +0000
> Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com> wrote:

>> > Is sndiod running?  If not:
>> >
>> >      sysrc sndiod_enable=YES
>> >      service sndiod start
>> >

>> Thanks Tobias. That helped. Out of interest. Is there any reason why I
>> should prefer either SNDIO, PUlSEAUDIO or ALSA?
>
> This currently creates a problem for those of us using Firefox from
> packages because the default build has SNDIO turned off.
>
> $ pkg info firefox
[...]
>         ALSA           : on
[...]
>         PULSEAUDIO     : on
[...]
>         SNDIO          : off

Only backends that support lazy bindings are enabled by default i.e.,
try PULSEAUDIO, if N/A fallback to ALSA, if N/A fallback to native OSS.
SNDIO has lower priority than ALSA in libcubeb but higher in WebRTC and
cannot fallback to native OSS as well. SNDIO currently doesn't work
inside jail and neither sndiod nor Firefox support Capsicum sandboxing,
so falling back to ALSA (or OSS) is important.

As Firefox lacks a preference to force a specific audio backend if many
are available we're stuck juggling dlopen(3) priorities e.g., SNDIO can
be tried before PULSEAUDIO but after JACK, then ALSA, then OSS.