Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 12:51:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, bde@zeta.org.au, dg@root.com
Subject:   Re: memory leaks in libc

Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
> >I just don't understand where you're coming from. There is a clear
> >bug in the standard library, we agree on this right? You are saying
> >that it's not worth fixing, because...
>
> I think there is agreement that a bogus API was defined long time ago,
> and since getting rid of that API not worth even discussing, this
> entire thread is a waste of time.

? Who's talking about changing the API? I think you're misunderstanding
the issue. The issue is simply: there's a memory leak in libc, should we
or should we not fix it? It's a standard bug-fix cost/benefit question.

> 	Yes, there is a memoryleak associated with use of this API,
> if that is unacceptable for your application then don't use this API.

The attitude reflected in this statement is the exact opposite of mine,
which is: Yes, there is a memoryleak associated with use of this API,
let's fix the stupid bug and get on with it! Am I crazy for thinking
that?

-Archie