Date:      Tue, 18 May 2004 15:06:16 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        FreeBSD STABLE <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Shared object "libc_r.so.5" not found

Hi!

I have just got some binary executables for a piece of software
for which no source code is available (blast.wustl.edu).
The executables seem to have been made on FreeBSD-5.

I am running FreeBSD-4.9 (RELENG_4_9) and see this error when trying to
run any of the provided binaries:
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libc_r.so.5" not found

A search in Google turned up several mentions to a new?
feature of FreeBSD-5 that has? been merged in
FreeBSD-4-(STABLE?). They mention some libmap.conf(5)
mappings and some note to UPDATING that is missing in my
UPDATING file. Also, I don't have any libmap.conf file,
and I can't find any man page for libmap.conf(5).

My question is: is this only for -STABLE? -CURRENT?

Is there something I can do to run the software without
having to update to -CURRENT or -STABLE? If there is no
trivial solution, I can ask the authors to provide binaries
for FreeBSD-4 ... but I thought of asking here first.

Thanks in advance,

Fernan

--
F e r n a n   A g u e r o