Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:01:36 +0200
From:      Dimitry Andric <dimitry@andric.com>
To:        Andrew Boothman <A.J.Boothman@sms.ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "NTLDR missing" after 5-RELEASE install

------------9DC81322E657FF0

On 2003-02-25 at 18:58:30 Andrew Boothman wrote:

> I can't understand how the 5.x boot manager has managed to break my windo=
ws
> boot, i've never had any trouble under 3.x or 4.x, both of which played w=
ith
> windows perfectly nicely.

Sorry for catching up on this thread so late, but couldn't this be
some nasty problem with hard drive geometries?  I.e. FreeBSD's
interpretation of the partition table could be totally different from
Windows', causing the rather flaky Microsoft bootloaders to fail.

I personally have had complaints from PartitionMagic and various other
Windows-based tools about partitions being "invalid" or having
"different CHS and LBA boundaries" etc, after installing some versions
of FreeBSD, and creating partitions from its installer.

Could you please give us some info about your drive geometry, and/or
or a somewhat low-level dump of your partition table data?

------------9DC81322E657FF0

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFBWA8wsF6jCi4glqMRApWuAJ0SIaCr6Qd1E8vPpOOXDn7468coVgCfQIgO
1CZIy+9u0uBQkastMvQnQAQ=
=iaCN
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

------------9DC81322E657FF0--