Date:      Thu, 02 Nov 2000 11:47:50 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Bob Martin <bob@buckhorn.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About introducing newbies to FreeBSD

> First, I would like to clarify that I personally like sysinstall just
> the way it is. But from most accounts, it's alienating to people coming
> from a Windows or Linux background.
> [recap of discussion from 1993 elided]

I'm not just being snide here, we really have had this very same
discussion (and in almost the same words) on and off for the last 7
years now.  It's hardly rocket science to envision an installer which
has one big button on it which even your grandmother could push, the
question always boiling down to "Who the heck is going to write this
thing then?"

That's generally where the discussion stops.  Every man and his dog
can describe an installer which follows in the footsteps of Windows,
Solaris or even OS X now that we have its installer to look at since
imitation is a pretty straight-forward design challenge.  As I first
said back in 1993, "who will step up to the plate and create this
alternative installer so that we can evaluate its merits and possibly
even make it the default?"  I'm still waiting for an answer to that
question, 7 years later. :-)

- Jordan