Date:      Sun, 2 Dec 2001 11:33:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>
To:        Joseph Maxwell <jaymax@ns.net>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Headless - FreeBSD x SAMBA sys. How to?

I run headless boxes now in a similar environment.

In the BIOS of your FreeBSD machine set the option to allow the machine to
coninue to boot on errors (the errors being the keyboard and mouse won't
be detected).

Enable SWAT (Samba Web Administration Tool) on the FreeBSD box.  You have
to add a port number (typically 901/tcp) to /etc/services and you have to
add a line to /etc/inetd.conf to allow swat connections --an example line
to add is in swat/help, but the "usual" samba path /usr/local/samba/swat
needs to changed to /usr/local/sbin/swat.

You can access the SWAT page by telnet (or ssh) to the FreeBSD box and
running lynx://localhost:901 or, though it's less secure, root password
will be sent in clear text, using a web browser on one of your clients to
connect to the FreeBSD box via: http://TheFreeBSDmachinename:901

Hope that helps

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT