Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 00:27:48 +0100
From:      Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing additional X11 fonts?

I think we need an example port to show how to properly add new
X11 fonts, and how to deal with various issues in that process:

1. Where to install the fonts?
   This shouldn't really be an issue at all. I distinctly remember that
   additional X11 fonts should go into ${X11BASE}/lib/X11/fonts/local.
   However, of the handful of examples in the x11-fonts category, only
   one installs there. The others create their own directories under
   ${X11BASE}/lib/X11/fonts. Should these ports be fixed?

2. How to merge fonts.alias?
   This problem points to larger one: the package framework doesn't
   really support merging files. Data to be merged needs to be put
   into the INSTALL script, and inserted in some way with cat/sed/perl.
   If the data is from the distribution tarball, the INSTALL script
   needs to be generated at build time. In order to remove the
   added data properly at deinstallation, some markers need to be
   put into the file. This is rather cumbersome and lacks standardized
   solutions in the ports tree.

3. How to update the X server's font path?
   Sure, I can run "xset fp rehash" post installation. That may
   even work. I can appear to work, but actually talk to the wrong
   X server. Or it can fail completely, if the root shell I'm
   installing from doesn't have the proper DISPLAY and ~/.Xauthority,
   assuming I'm under X11 in the first place. Better to not run
   any command and only echo a reminder to do this manually?

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de