Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 1999 23:50:45 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <francisco@natserv.com>
To:        "David Scheidt" <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSd Chat list" <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Running email servers from home the easy way.

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999 22:26:59 -0500 (CDT), David Scheidt wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Francisco Reyes wrote:
>> Anyone thinking of doing email at home should check out Dmail
>> from http://netwinsite.com/
>> It is free for up to 5 users.
>
>What do you get over qmail, postfix or even plain ole sendmail,

Easy installation of a POP server, MTA and list server.

>besides limits?

For some people who have a small setup this is a non issue.
In my home FreeBSD I have only added one user.

>What do you get over qmail, postfix, or even plain ole sendmail, besides a
>thinner wallet, no source code, and no security reviews?

See first answer.

>I don't see the point.
>David Scheidt

All things in life have a price. You pay with your wallet or you
pay with your time.
Given that I did not pay for this program, it works with my
current and foreseable future needs, I don't see why I shoudl
not use it or recommend it to people in simmilar situations.

To think that Open Source and all things free are the only and
best solutions for ALL situations is depriving oneself from
examining alternatives which may be better.

Besides I spent more time in Dejanews searching for what POP to
use than it took me to download and install Dmail.

>over qmail, postfix or even plain ole sendmail,

Postfix. Looked at the web page and seemed more complex than I
cared to deal with.
Sendmail may carry most of the mail in the web, but surely it is
not due to how easy it is to use and implement.

Qmail I never got to look at so I can't comment, but I read a
message that said "qmail-pop3d" uses maildir format whereas
sendmail doesn't use that "out of the box". One email I saw says
"sendmail can be coaxed to do Maildir with maildrop as the
delivery agent". Not very inviting. Is this the qmail you were
thinking about?