From:      "Dan Lazin" <dan@alphamale.ab.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   sendmail no longer relaying, now giving me 'Host unknown' error

I added a domain to my sendmail.cw file yesterday, and SIGHUPed the daemon
to restart it. As of that moment, it (my mail server) stopped relaying mail
from my home machine. I have a dynamically-addressed ADSL connection at
home, but my hostname always comes out matching *.hs.telusplanet.net. The
relay-domains file simply reads "hs.telusplanet.net", and that worked
before. I've tried just telusplanet.net, and that doesn't work, either. I
just get the standard '550: Relaying denied' message. The sendmail
documentation says that I'm doing everything correctly.

And another bad thing has started happening: my aliases no longer work. I
have an old geocities account for which I've created an alias for testing
purposes; neither it, nor any other external alias, works anymore. He's the
message I get:

bootymasta@geocities.com
    (expanded from: <booty@hardcore.ab.ca>)

550 bootymasta@geocities.com... Host unknown (Name server:
mail2b.geo.yahoo.com.: host not found)

(hardcore.ab.ca is a domain name pointing to my machine, and no, it's not
porn)
And yet nslookup says that mail2b.geo.yahoo.com exists. What gives? I'm not
running named, though I was at one time. I've commented bind out of my
host.conf file and removed it from rc.conf; are there any secret relics that
would make sendmail query my nonexistant nameserver? I'm running the
standard .cf file.

Thanks very much.

Dan Lazin