Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:50:30 +0000
From:      Tom Hukins <tom@eborcom.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        andreas@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to deal with uninstalled qt extension?

I am trying to port an application which requires Qt functionality
not included in the FreeBSD Qt port.

The application depends on libqimgio, which is included in
extensions/imageio in the Qt distfile, but which is not installed by
the Qt port.

It seems to me there are two ways to deal with this, but I'm unsure
which is best.

1) Modify the Qt port to install the imageio extensions. In my new
   port, as well as specifying USE_QT, check that the Qt version
   installed includes these extensions. If the extensions are not
   present, print an error message to the user.

2) Create a separate qt-imageio port which just installs this
   extension.

I'd appreciate any comments on how I should deal with this.

Thanks,
Tom