Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 2003 23:56:38 -0800
From:      Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>
To:        "Luke Kearney" <lukek@meibin.net>
Cc:        "Shawn Henderson" <hendersonshawn@hotpop.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: projects

> > Shawn Said:
> >
> > I am currently tryin to learn sysadmin. is there a place were there
> > are projects that I can practice on my box..I have just been searching
> > the web for stuff to do with my box and have learned bits and
> > pieces..but I want a little more structure. I have bought a few books
> > but quickly tire of them just like the projects on the web because I
> > have to search for days on the > next step to learn how to do it.. I
> > would like something that is step by step and progressive between
> > steps...am I dreaming or is there something > out there???  Thanks

> Luke Said:
> As one who has done ( am still doing ) what you are looking for I suggest
> that the best way is to purchase the FreeBSD handbook ( or if you don't mind
> reading it over the web get the good oil there ) and go through the chapters
> one by one and learn to install/config a DHCP server Web server FTP server
> etc etc. All the books dedicated to Sys Admin work appear to be pretty
> tedious I thought and the best way is hands on playing with things with the
> books as a guide only. Take any old piece of garbage machine with a cheap
> hub and a second "client" machine and go for it. It can be fun when things
> are working the way you intended.

I would also recommend to treat your first many installs as throw away.
That is write them off up front, expect to reinstall.  This way you can
play with many aspects of the system without the fear of breaking it, you
have already decided it will be reinstalled.  After you have learned more
you can stop this behavior and keep it stable.  This has the added benefit
that you learn a great deal from breaking things... :)

What Luke recommends above is great (making up tasks to do such as
installing a web server).  You can build on that too.  Install an apache
web server with ssl, php4, and a mysql or postgresql database and use that
to install PHP nuke.

Set up a DNS server and learn about zone files, etc. and then run two, or
more, PHP nuke websites from one IP address.

You can go on and on with this.  It becomes alot more fun when you start
putting several things together and get your machine to do something cool.
The possibilities are endless.

 - Mike