Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2013 00:33:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bryan Venteicher <bryanv@daemoninthecloset.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Problem with curret in vmware

> On Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:25:06 am Alexander Yerenkow wrote:
> > Hello all.
> > I have panics in vmware with installed vmwaretools (they are guessed
> > culprit).
> > Seems that memory balooning (or using more memory in all vms than there is
> > in host)
> > produces some kind of weird behavior in FreeBSD.
> > This vm aren't shutted down now, is there somethin I can do to help
> > investigate this?
> >
> > Panic screens:
> > http://gits.kiev.ua/FreeBSD/panic1.png
> > http://gits.kiev.ua/FreeBSD/panic2.png
>
> Looks like their code needs to be updated to work with locking changes in
> HEAD.  Attilio is probably the best person to ask.

This highlights why we should move away from the poorly supported, out of
tree, unfriendly licensed VMware tools. I have a port of the vmxnet3 from
OpenBSD [1] that I intend to commit in time for 10. Next, I hope to look
at the OpenBSD vmt [2] VMware tools driver.

The balloon is a bit trickier. AFAIK, OpenBSD doesn't have a driver for
easy porting. The VMware tools driver for FreeBSD is GPL licensed, and
VMware has shown no interest/ability to relicense their tools. Likely,
the best way forward is to port their CDDL licensed Solaris driver.

[1] - http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/projects/vmxnet/sys/dev/vmware/vmxnet3/
[2] - http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=vmt&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD+Current&arch=i386&format=html